Are Succulents Poisonous to Cats or Dogs? | Olivra Homedecor – Olivrahomedecor

Are Succulents Poisonous to Cats or Dogs?

Posted by Olivra Homedecor on

Are Succulents Poisonous to Cats or Dogs?

For the most part succulents aren't poisonous but a few of them are! It's good idea to know for which types to look out, and can cause a threat to humans and animals.

Growing succulents is pretty save as far as toxicity is concerned. From experience I can tell that the spines and needles are the most dangerous part of succulents and cacti.

 

Photo credit: @onr.

However, we all know little kids like to explore the world trough their mouth. It's essential to know which succulents to keep them from. A majority of succulents don't pose a threat to humans. There are a few more that can be dangerous to animals.

In general, I would highly recommend to call poison control if your child ingests any succulent and you don't know what type of succulents you own. While the succulents will likely not cause any serious harm, it could make them very sick.

As far as animals like cats or dogs concern. Most animals are smart enough to avoid potential poisonous plants but not all of them will. It's a great idea to do some research on the succulents you own to see if they can cause any harm to your lovely pets.

It's always a good idea to keep prickly plants away form small children and pets even though they are not poisonous at all!

Receive exclusive Blog Posts in your mailbox.

Commonly poisonous succulents

Euphorbias

Euphorbias are one of the more commonly known poisonous succulent family. While not all people will react the same, Euphorbias contain a white sap in their leaves that can irritate your skin. The sap will generally cause a rash to appear wherever it came in contact with your skin.

When handling Euphorbias you should wear gloves to avoid any contact with the white sap. If you for some reason ingested the white sap I would suggest you go to a local doctor as soon as possible.

Toxicity: Toxic to dogs, cats and other small animals. Can also be irritating to humans.

Aloe Vera

Probably one of the most popular succulent indoor houseplants. But some aloe vera plants are indeed toxic to pets. At ingesting aloe vera it can cause lethargy, diarrhea and vomiting. It can also cause a change in urine color.

Toxicity: Toxic to dogs, cats and other small animals.

Kalanchoes

Also know as Mother of Millions. While not dangerous to humans, many kalanchoes can cause dogs and cats to get sick. If ingested your pet may show signs of vomiting or diarrhea and rarely an abnormal heart rhythm.

Usually it will cause some sickness but ingesting kalanchoes will rarely be fatal for your pets.

Toxicity: Toxic to dogs, cats and other small animals.

Photo credit: @sexysucculents_ instagram


Share this post



← Older Post Newer Post →